I’ve been around a hot minute in the online space. For reference, I started my Women’s Entrepreneur Network Facebook Group 8 years ago, in 2015, and I was active online for at least a year before that.
It used to be that it was the whole 10K in 90 days thing, but now there are all other kinds of lies out there, that are total bullshit, and other offers that are just outright injurious, and prey on new business owners who don’t know better.
Let’s start with a list of them.
- “One Funnel Away” — If you’ve been in business a while, and have done some market research, and can work through a lot of things, you MIGHT be able to quickly come up with a funnel that works. Most people fail pretty spectacularly. It can take a lot of time and money to debug a funnel, and it is especially difficult if you haven’t been in business for a bit.
- “Make 10K” in 30 days if you have no friends, etc. This tends to be something that is really tricky, and fails about 95–98% of the time. The problem is that if you have no-one to sell to, and nobody knows what you’re selling, and if your connections are not even remotely close to what you’re selling, it is hard to make money.
- “Charge what you’re worth” — I’m sure that this is a lovely concept, but the reality is that you can charge what the market will bear, not necessarily some inflated version of what you think you are worth, regardless of how good you are at sales or how many letters or degrees you have after your name. Charge what you can by all means, but be aware that you may have to start lower than you want, depending on the industry.
- “10X your business in X amount of time” — Once again- it depends. If you are making $1000/month, and have easy capacity to get to 10K/month sure, maybe. If you are at 10K/month and are looking to get to 100K/month, then it will be more difficult, as there are a lot of operational questions as well as scaling needs. The marketing and sales and operations, and delivery processes are different as a business scales.
- Scale to 7 Figures Overnight! — This is just plain nuts to me. So many things. Operations, marketing, how much is it going to cost, what’s the structure of the business? Some businesses can do this- easily, others, not so much. Imagine owning a…